Wednesday, September 15, 2010

reading response 1: first impressions

            In response to the reading selections this week I find myself at a loss as to where I should began; there was so much material that I enjoyed or that stirred my emotions that I find myself very nearly overwhelmed with thoughts, my own and others, that are more than worthy to write about extensively. This, I suppose, is the lot of those of us who love to learn, there is so much knowledge and we want to share and spread to all those around us. I digress, however, and I will share with you, to the best of my ability, my pondering from this week. For simplicity sake I will try to express my opinion in categories according to book. [there are three]


                                            Book 1: The Sacred Art of Dying
                                                                              by Kenneth Kramer


         I was impressed with the goal of this book, being to relieve the fears of students, particularly, those who harbor fears in regards to their own death and the death of a loved one. Specifically, the text promises to address such questions as: "What Happens at Death? What happens after death? And how should I prepare for my own death?" Many individuals profess that these questions do not occur to them or do not "bother" them or something to that effect. When people casually brush off these questions it really is difficult for me to understand. Death is a part of life, such a huge part, in fact, that it is impossible to successfully ignore and disregard.
        I believe that this passive outlook at death must have a vital root in our culture and was thrilled to find that the text supported this belief. "In our culture, individuals fear physical death because it is not understood and because it appears to be a final termination of life." I would like to expand on this and really relate it to the culture of the United Stated. In the USA, life is hugely influenced by the American dream which stated that you can obtain everything if you work hard and have lots of money; this is important to American's perception of death, because in death you have nothing, there is nothing. In the America Dream there is no room for nothing; it does not fit well with the philosophy. This brought me to the question: Is death harder on Western culture than on other cultures?  


I will have to stop here as my presents is required else where; however I will continue in due course. :)     

No comments:

Post a Comment