Wednesday, September 15, 2010

reading response 1: first impressions cont.

                                                     Book Two:
                                                        Success Built to Last
                                                                      by Jerry Porras, Stewart Emery, and Mark Thompson

              This insightful of this book I found to be truly refreshing, and it cleared up some issues that I have with the "toxic" interpretations that are so commonly matched with the word "success." Personally, prior to reading this material I believed, "Why be successful? Money and power cannot bring happiness except in a temporary unsatisfying form, so why bother? I would much rather work hard and achieve my long time goals for my education and then proceed to use all the resources I possessed towards what matters deeply to me. (I will not share exactly what that is, as this is the internet and this can be viewed by anyone.) I must say that I was thrilled to find that the authors of this book shared my view. Success is not about money and/or power but in its true form coincides with the Mandela Effect:-- "when you create enduring success not because you are perfect or lucky but because you have the courage to do what matters to you." This text I interpret to be most uplifting because it lets me realize that I am indeed still on what I feel to be the right path not just flowing around lost in a shallow oblivion.
             I love the fact that builders (or truly successful people) are simply ordinary people who commit to and strive towards extraordinary things that they personally believe in. True success is working towards and perhaps accomplishing a goal that matters to an individual at a personal level and is not typically something that will impact just them but the people and world around them. Marva Collins is quoted in the book, "when you create a life that matters ---then 'the world would be a darker place without you'."
             The most beautiful thing that I identify within this book thus far is that the "true success" concept is achieved be people who are not perfect, lucky, or genetically set up for it, rather they are ordinary people who have their own flaws, disappointments and failures.

No comments:

Post a Comment